Frequently Asked Questions


 What are city hall office hours?

City Hall is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

 Are fireworks allowed in La Porte City?

Local ordinance allows for the use of fireworks during the following dates and times:

1. Between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on July 4 and the Fridays and Saturdays immediately preceding and following July 4.

2. Between the hours of 9:00 a.m. on December 31 and 12:30 a.m. on January 1.


 What is the garbage and recycling pick up schedule?

Garbage is picked up every Friday, recycling is picked up every other Wednesday.  Containers should be at the curb by 6:00 AM.

A complete schedule of collection dates can be found under Services

 Who do I contact for a dumpster or large item pickup?

Contact Black Hawk Waste (319) 232-4150 for more information.

 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter or community center?

Please contact City Hall (319) 342-3396 or email lpcclerk@lpctel.net to check availability and reserve the City Park Shelter or Community Center.  Facility rental information is also available under Services.

 At what point is a snow emergency declared?

A snow emergency is declared when there is any accumulation of snow requiring street clearance.No person shall park, abandon or leave unattended any vehicle on any public street, alley, or City-owned offstreet parking area, except the City Parking Lot on Main Street, during any snow emergency unless the snow has been removed or plowed from said street or alley or until the snow has ceased to fall. 


 What are the City's requirements on snow removal from sidewalks?

It is the responsibility of the abutting property owners to remove snow, ice and accumulations promptly from sidewalks. If a property owner does not remove snow, ice or accumulations within a reasonable time, the City may do so and assess the costs against the property owner for collection in the same manner as a property tax.


 Do I need a permit for a recreational fire?

No.  Recreational  fires (open fires for cooking, heating, recreation or ceremonies) must be either a) contained within a metal fire ring or similar fireproof structure and may not have flames higher than five (5) feet, or b) located more than fifty (50) feet from any dwelling, building or other structure. Such burning must be tended at all times by a responsible person with adequate fire extinguishing materials immediately available.